Thursday, May 28, 2015

Hillary Clinton's Concession Speech

                                  Hillary Clinton's Concession Speech                                 
When Eric said in class the other night how impressive (not sure if he went that far to say that) Hillary Clinton was it sparked my interest to see how impressive she was. I have not followed anything she has done every, I have only heard the bad press going around about her and have done an assignment about her email scandal. I have only heard bad things so when he said this it interested me a little. This speech is not a recent speech but one that I feel I can point out some of Larsen's Myths.

I would like to only discuss one of the myths although I feel as if I have found two or three in here which should not be any surprise. The myth I would like to discuss is the Valley of Challenge. This one stood out to me because she talks as if she will stick her neck out for me and that she will be there to raise to the challenge with whatever comes up. One specific thing she says in this speech is " you'll always find me on the front lines of democracy." She says this after talking about people feeling invisible to their president and having dreams and goals that have not been reached yet. This makes it feel as if she roll up her sleeves and work along side me and will do whatever it takes to make me happy and fulfill my goals.

The process premise which I found in this speech was in the need section under Maslow's Hierarchy, belonging and safety. Hillary in her speech talks as if what she will do will make me safe in my life and make me belong to something. She talks as if I will belong if she is in charge because that is what she will be able to do. I will be safe with her in charge. It seems as if she succeeds with this because of the audience and the applause she gests after saying such things. Writing this analysis I am more skeptic and do not believe a word since that is how it seems a lot of people are raised, to not believe a word any politician believes.

I will admit, she is a good speaker and does a good job in this speech. She pulls everyone together and makes every group of people feel as if they are included and then protected and supported by the things she says. She  did a good job.

6 comments:

  1. I always cringe when I here the name Hillary Clinton. Throughout this Cohort I have written a few papers about her like the email and the Uranium One scandals. But I always have to remind myself that none of us are perfect. It's just that she is always in the lime light and all of her good and bad moments are brought out into the open. I wouldn't want that to happen to me. After reading your blog about her, I watched the video, and yes she does know how to effect the people around her, if she didn't she would not be where she is now. I feel you did a great job in your blog because it made me watch the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your take Taylor. It's important to see everything in order to better make a decision as to what is right or wrong. As Eric would have us be critical thinkers hiw can we do that if we are not willing to at least open.

    She definitely has the Messiah effect going on here and makes me wonder if at this point she was using the same campaign manager as Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time wanting to view anything with Hillary in it, let me explain. Its not that I do not want to hear her views, its because of a co-worker that is so pro-Hillary he's beyond ignorant. His blatant disregard for others views and ignorance regarding democrats and Hillary (they are the only way this country will ever succeed) has pushed me away rather than entice me to listen. Luckily we have a teacher named Eric, who inspires us to open our minds. I agree that Hillary emotionally engages the audience to help them see things as she does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a very hard time with anything that Hilary Clinton says or does. I would agree that she is a very polished public speaker but beyond that I think that she is a detriment to our country. I think that all politicians however are hard to take serious. It is hard not to get dirty when you roll in the mud with pigs! So it is with all politicians. They all figuratively roll around with one another striking deals and making concessions to their own ideals in attempts to get their bill or idea passed and or supported. They conspire in dark corners regardless of what the people that elected them want. Politicians on both sides of the isle are dirty! They smell and make me sick. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that she did an amazing job at making her audience feel like she would be there for them and together they could reach desired goals. It is hard not to be skeptical when listening to speeches from politicians because they are usually trying to persuade us at some level or another. After listening to this speech I am curious to listen to some of her others to see if her speaking style changes very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilary absolutely uses the value of challenge in this speech. I find it particularly interesting from the very beginning how she frames each supporter of her campaign in the 'value of challenge' myth. She lists everyone who drove for miles, scrimped and saved, knocked on doors, argued with friends... all of these campaign supporter categories involve some sort of hardship.

    ReplyDelete